Saturday, June 8, 2013

Lily Pad on the Ocmulgee

We took Lily on the river today for her first kayak trip.  We had no idea what to expect and we were surprised at how she behaved.  She was very excited looking at the water while we prepared.

 
"Can we go?  Can we go?"

 
I carefully packed my iphone in a ziplock bag that I kept in the dry box, so most of the pictures I got were fuzzy from the bag to be safe.  Lily did not like that Clay and I were in separate boats, she whined every time the boats would get more than a few feet apart.  Then she would dive in start swimming to the other boat.  She LOVED swimming!  She loved it so much that sometimes she would dive into the water and swim ahead of the boats just swimming and swimming.  

 
We had decided to run a section of the Ocmulgee that we had already kayaked so we knew what to expect.  Killer went with us last October on this same stretch.  We put in at Hwy 83 and took out at Juliette Dam.  The river was really high today after a week of on/off rain and rain last night too.  The height listed at Dames Ferry was 5.7ft and the cubic ft/second was up to about 6,000.   Lily did escape one time conveniently onto the island we are planning on camping on soon.  She got tangled in some thorns but I got her loose and off the island and back in the boat, much to her chagrin.

Lily finally settled down in Clay's boat on the last 3/4 mile or so of the total 4.2 mile stretch.  Prior to this calmness the only time she sat still is when I had a slim Jim and pack of peanuts open and she sat in front of me on the boat staring me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment