Sunday, March 30, 2014

Building Kayak Racks

After a lot of talking and planning and looking on the internet for inspiration we came up with the plans for our rolling kayak rack.  Eric came down for moral support and assistance.
 
Luckily, dad came and provided expertise on the project.  We used 2x6 boards for the base and lagged them together.  We used 2x4 cut to almost the height of the garage for the risers.  We used wooden dowels near the top to provide more stability and would work to hold my watermelon (my green kayak).  The rack is 8 feet long and my watermelon is only 6 feet so we have an extra dowel on the opposite end to hang our life jackets.  On one side to provide both stability and extra storage for dry bags and such we put a peg board. The weather was too humid yesterday to paint it but we have some nice bright blue to paint the rack soon.  It has giant 6 inch casters on it so we can just roll it in and out of the garage.
We used nylon rope with washers to make the individual racks and strung a piece of PVC pipe on each one to help the boats roll in and out.  It really worked like a charm!
 


The almost finished project.  Still needs a coat of paint but already providing us the storage we wanted and it also makes it so easy for us to pick and choose which boats we want to take out without having to pull all them out and the gear will no longer be stacked inside the boats making it harder to access.

1 comment:

  1. HIO 8ft Log Rack from Bizarkdeal

    I have been heating my home primarily with wood for the last 5 years. My family and I love the warm cozy heat put off by a wood stove. The problem is, it can be a big mess. I have been keeping my wood on pallets outside for years, but they are beginning to fall apart and the wood more or less just ends up on the ground because there is nothing to keep the logs from rolling down the side.

    I decided to get this rack for outside use because I have one just like it (only much smaller) next to the wood stove and I love it. FIrstly, this thing is BIG! It can hold a LOT of wood, and it gets it a good 8 inches up off the ground (and away from unwanted slithering and furry guests.) Because it has sides, it holds more wood more securely than stacking it on pallets and it makes it easy to put a tarp over to keep it dry. I might just buy two more of these to hold an entire heating season worth of wood neatly.

    It is worth noting that it was very easy to put together. It only took about 15 minutes to do by myself, but you will need tools that are not included in the package to do it. I used a pair of Vice-grips and an adjustable wrench.

    ReplyDelete